I. Antes de ver
In Spanish, name three items you always needed to have when you were a student in elementary school.
II. A ver.
Now watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYe3AlW3n6o) about school items for elementary school children in Latin America, and see if there are any similarities/differences with the school items you used to have.
III. Después de ver
Actividad 1-11. Are there any similarities/differences between your school items and the ones shown in the video? Name two.
Actividad 1-12. Now watch the video again, and do the following exercises.
Actividad A. What is the main idea of this video? What kind of information is this video providing?
Actividad B. Responde las preguntas or choose the best option.
- The reporter mentions the month of “marzo” as the beginning of the academic year. What is the English work for “marzo”? What does this tell you about the location where this video takes place? ¿Es el hemisferio norte o el hemisferio sur?
- ¿Dónde está Lima (city where the video takes place)?
- ¿Cuál es la moneda (currency) en el video?
- ¿Cuál es el precio de los lápices de colores?
- ¿Cuál es el precio de un cuaderno?
- A lady is interviewed as part of the report. ¿Cuántas hijas (daughters) tiene (does she have)?
- Which of these items are not discussed/do not appear in the video?
Actividad C. What kind of information do you think is given in the video? How is the information supported (e.g., talk about images, evidence, etc.)?
Actividad D. What are the cultural similarities and differences that you can think of when it comes to buying school supplies in the city featured in the video and the store in the photo above and in your city/town? What are some of the social/cultural aspects that you think might contribute to the differences?
Now let’s continue talking about culture. Let’s go to México!